Friday 17 June 2016

Mosaic love art DIY



Hey there,
Long time no see, I was very busy working on school since I am almost done for the year. This is one of the projects I did for school and I had a lot of compliments on it. Since I havent found anything alike with vinyl too I tought i'd share the proces with you. I don't have every step in picture but will try to walk you through everystep and respond to your questions a.s.a.p. 

You will need:

  1. A frame to work in, I made mine myself ( it is 1m by 70cm ) but you can use a regular picture frame too.
  2. A hot glue gun
  3. an exacto knife
  4. metal ruler
  5. Bucket hot water ( to soak the dvd's in to make them easier to cut)
  6. I used about 50 dvd's ( cd's are fine too but mine did not have the same purple glow as the dvd's wich I wanted for this project but you can do this with cd's too) 
  7. Some old vinyl records, I used 3 
  8. a old casette tape
  9. A cutting mat to prevent you from cutting your desk.
  10. and some strong scissors, I used the strong kitchen scissor from home.





Step 1

Take your records and decide how big you would like your pieces. I made mine pizza shaped but i also made some random shapes to fill in the blanks later on. I have tried working with a electric saw but the records started to chipp and break and it didn't look pretty. The best way was to cut them by hand. You take your ruler and carefully make a slid in the record, if you are doing this right you should see the cutting line appear on the back of your record. At this point I was able to snap them carefully and if you do this right there will be no chips or ruff edges but a clean cut. You repeat this step untill all the records are cut in your desired shapes.


Step 2


Take your bucket, pour in the boiling water and add some dvd's and let them soak for a minute. After you let them soak start taking one dvd out carefully. Cut it in several random pieces until you are out of dvd and repeat this process untill you have enough.

Step 3

Start positioning your pieces on your frame, just take your time with this and make sure you are happy with the way it looks because you are going to work on from here. I like to put much of the records randomly spreak throughout the canvas and work my way around it with the dvd's. 

Step 4

Take your glue gun and start glueing pieces down, I found it easiest starting to fill it in from a corner and work my way out. This is a long process but you will get there. 

*****TIP*******

Be carefull putting the hot glue on your records as I found that thin records started to bubble once applied. It helped me to put it on quickly and spread it out good as putting it on, like shove it a little bit. If you do this be sure not to put glue right on the edges as it might smear.

Step 5

For the last part you are going to add the casette. For that I just pulled out the tape of the casette and cut it in strings. I made a pattern and just glued the strings in this crossed pattern on the back of the canvas. * It doesn't take much glue but you need to do this tight and make sure it dries before you let go of the string because sometimes it will be stuck to your finger and you will smear out the glue

And if you did this right you should end up with something looking like this:

amazing right? I already promised my bestie I would make one with her so if you need any more info just let me know. I could record it if people would like me to.


anyways it is late so I am out and will be back soon with another diy

xox 
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment